Truro Post Office / Le Bureau de Poste de Truro
This building, opened in 1884, was erected to house the Post Office, Customs and Internal Revenue. Designed under the supervision of federal Chief Architect Thomas Fuller, the Truro Post Office was part of a nation-wide programme to house federal services in attractive and prominently located structures. With its steep roof, contrasts of red brick and pale stone trim, and mixture of details from various historical periods, this building is an excellent example of Victorian design, and a bold symbol of the aspirations of the new Dominion.
Erected by Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada/Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Canada, Historic Sites and Monuments Board, and the Postal Mail and Philately series lists.
Location. 45° 21.912′ N, 63° 16.832′ W. Marker is in Truro, Nova Scotia, in Colchester County. Marker is at the intersection of Prince Street and Lorne Street, on the left when traveling east on Prince Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 695 Prince Street, Truro, Nova Scotia B2N 1G5, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian/United Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Lumber Jack, circa 1900 (within shouting distance of this marker); Centennial of Presbyterian Church Formation in Canada (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Old Provincial Normal College (about 180 meters away); War Memorial (about 210 meters away); First Landing (approx. 3.3 kilometers away); Isgonish-French River Portage (approx. 10.6 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Truro Post Office Canadian Register Statement of Significance . (Submitted on September 12, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 28, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 12, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 12, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.