Jackson in Jackson County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Morgan's Raiders: "The Scum of the South"
— John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail —
Morgan's main force arrived a half-hour later. The defenders were rounded up, marched to the fairgrounds, and kept under guard through the night. Some raiders ransacked the town while others rested. During the night, the raiders burned the depot and other valuable railroad facilities including two bridges.
The next morning, Morgan visited the office of the Jackson Standard. When he read an editorial that referred to him and his men as "the scum of the South," the troops located the printing room on the third floor, threw the type boxes out a window, and smashed the press itself with a pick axe.
The raiders began to leave Jackson about noon on July 17. Morgan's forces split, as Colonel Basil Duke's column moved
The Search for a Crossing
By mid-July 1863, Confederate Brigadier General John Hunt Morgan had made it around several obstacles, the largest being the Union garrison at Cincinnati, Ohio, commanded by Union Major General Ambrose Burnside. A scouting party led by Morgan's brother, Colonel Richard Morgan, was sent to Ripley, Ohio, in search of an Ohio River crossing, but after discovering a fortified guard at Ripley, they returned to the main column.
Morgan and his raiders also faced increased local delaying tactics, such as felled trees across the main roads and the strategic burning of bridges to slow their advance and aid the Union pursuit. Morgan continued across southern Ohio seeking another river crossing He could not have predicted he was heading for a showdown.
Top left: Confederates ransacked numerous stores in Jackson and destroyed the office of the Republican newspaper, the Jackson Standard. When Union forces arrived several hours later, they retaliated by attacking the newspaper office of the Jackson Express, owned and edited by a "Peace" Democrat.
Text: Edd Sharp & David L. Mowery
Illustrations: Bev Kirk
Erected 2013 by the Ohio Department of Transportation, the Ohio History Connection, and the Ohio Civil War Trail Commission. (Marker Number 17.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the John Hunt Morgan Heritage Trail in Ohio series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 16, 1863.
Location. 39° 3.154′ N, 82° 38.252′ W. Marker is in Jackson, Ohio, in Jackson County. Marker is on East Main Street (Ohio Route 93) west of Broadway Street, on the right when traveling west. Located just to west of the Jackson County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 East Main Street, Jackson OH 45640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Commercial Apple Orchards in Jackson County / The Jackson County Apple Festival (here, next to this marker); The Scioto Salt Licks / The Scioto Salt Works (a few steps from this marker); James A. Rhodes (a few steps from this marker); John Wesley Powell / Morgan's Raid in Jackson, 1863 (within shouting distance of this marker); Trails / The Kanawha Trail (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 53rd O.V.I. Regiment / Camp Diamond (about 300 feet away); McKinley Park / William McKinley (approx. ¼ mile away); James Cemetery / Major John James (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jackson.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 202 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 13, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.