Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Chilton in Falls County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

North Prairie School

Site Of

 
 
North Prairie School Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, June 26, 2016
1. North Prairie School Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  On June 8, 1896, the citizens of North Prairie petitioned the Falls County Commissioners Court for a community school district, and North Prairie School District No. 65 was created. In 1910 a 2-room school housed two teachers and about 20 students. By 1926 the North Prairie School had grown to include about 30 students with three teachers providing instruction in nine grades. World War II called away many of North Prairie's young people. The community declined in population as did many community schools of the era, and in 1946 the North Prairie School District was consolidated with nearby Chilton schools. The North Prairie schoolhouse was razed within a few years, but remains a significant part of local history.
 
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11873.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical date for this entry is June 8, 1896.
 
Location. 31° 20.187′ N, 97° 5.093′ W. Marker is in Chilton, Texas, in Falls County. Marker is on Golinda Drive (U.S. 77) north of County Road 466A, on the right
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chilton TX 76632, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lorena Cemetery (approx. 8.3 miles away); The Lorena United Methodist Church (approx. 8.4 miles away); McBrayer City Park (approx. 8.6 miles away); Martin Irons (approx. 8.6 miles away); Site of Bruceville Methodist Church (approx. 9 miles away); Bruceville Baptist Church (approx. 9.1 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Eddy Methodist Church (approx. 10˝ miles away).
 
North Prairie School Marker vicinity image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, June 26, 2016
2. North Prairie School Marker vicinity
Marker is right in the center
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2017. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 949 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2017, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=108510

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2024