Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wise County Messenger
Started by William Forster in 1880, the "Messenger" was published in Paradise (10 mi. SW) and Alvord (11 mi. NW) before a permanent move to Decatur in 1885. Early editions included poems, love stories, and lists of strayed animals and mail at the dead letter office. N.W. and H.A. Halcomb became the owners in 1894. Two of their staff members, Marvin Smith and R.E. "Dick" Collins, bought the paper in 1907. A correspondent during the Spanish-American War, Collins worked on the staff for 40 years. Mergers with Decatur papers include the "Post" (1890), "News" (1935), and "News Review" (1940).
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5875.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Settlements & Settlers • War, Spanish-American. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
Location. 33° 14.004′ N, 97° 35.184′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of South Trinity Street (Farm to Market Road 730) and East Pecan Street, on the left when Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 S Trinity Street, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Stone Prison (within shouting distance of this marker); Wise County War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wise County C.S.A. (about 300 feet away); Charles Vernon Terrell (about 400 feet away); Randolph Vesey (about 400 feet away); Captain George W. Stevens (about 400 feet away); Wise County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Colonel Absalom Bishop (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Also see . . . Wise County Messenger. (Submitted on September 23, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 192 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on August 1, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.