Decatur in Wise County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Episcopal Mission of the Ascension
Known as "The Little Church with the Crosses", by 1912 it had deteriorated, but was restored and moved, facing Walnut Street.
In 1940 building was sold, used as mattress factory, but rescued same year and moved here, with sanctuary placed symbolically to east, toward Jerusalem.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1492.)
Location. 33° 13.703′ N, 97° 35.129′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of South Church Street and East Hale Avenue, on the right when traveling north on South Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 905 S Church St, Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Stone Prison (approx. 0.3 miles away); Wise County Messenger (approx. 0.4 miles away); Decatur Baptist College (approx. 0.4 miles away); Texas Tourist Camp Complex (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wise County C.S.A. (approx. 0.4 miles away); Wise County War Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Charles Vernon Terrell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Randolph Vesey (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Also see . . . Episcopal Church of Wise County. (Submitted on September 25, 2017.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Episcopal Mission of the Ascension.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 25, 2017. This page originally submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 14 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide shot of marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?