Dr. William Renshaw
1822 - 1887
Born in Illinois, William Renshaw studied medicine and set up practice in Sparta, Tennessee. His wife Sarah received from the Mexican government a grant of land in Texas, where her father Samuel Worthington lost his life in a colonization attempt in 1828. Dr. Renshaw traveled to Texas in 1853 to locate this headright, which encompassed many acres of Wise County north of this marker site. Dr. Renshaw returned to Sparta and served two terms in the Tennessee Legislature before moving his family to Texas in 1859.
The first doctor to settle permanently in Wise County, Dr. Renshaw was often away from home for long periods, with a practice extending from Denton to Jacksboro. The Renshaw's organized one of the county's earliest schools, taught by J. D. White, for their own and neighbor children. After the Civil War, the family moved to Decatur, where Dr. Renshaw and his son Lute opened a drugstore. They were devout Baptists and supported Decatur Baptist College. Dr. Renshaw died in 1887 and was buried at Oak Lawn Cemetery in Decatur. As his 10 children married, each received a portion of the Worthington survey. Two family members still own
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1828.
Location. 33° 14.665′ N, 97° 29.992′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Texas, in Wise County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 380 and Renshaw-Beal Road (County Highway 2311), on the right when traveling east on U.S. 380. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur TX 76234, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Campsite of Jesse and Frank James (a few steps from this marker); Texas Tourist Camp Complex (approx. 4.7 miles away); Old Stone Prison (approx. 5 miles away); Wise County Messenger (approx. 5.1 miles away); Captain George W. Stevens (approx. 5.1 miles away); Randolph Vesey (approx. 5.1 miles away); Charles Vernon Terrell (approx. 5.1 miles away); Wise County War Memorial (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Decatur.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 20, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on September 21, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. Photos: 1. submitted on August 2, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. 2. submitted on September 21, 2017, by James R. Murray of Elkton, Florida. 3. submitted on August 2, 2020, by Kayla Harper of Dallas, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.