Pulaski in Candler County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Named after Polish Count Casimir Pulaski, the Town of Pulaski was established in western Bulloch County in 1900. It was a railroad town and in 1901 was included in the passenger train service from Savannah to Dublin.
H. Lehman Franklin and George O. Franklin purchased land from local farmers J. H. Warren and J. W. Williams and built a hotel and several store fronts. The community supported warehouses, general mercantile, a cotton gin, drug store, shoe store, barber shop and a turpentine factory. In 1924, the largest employer was the turpentine distillery. Barrels of its product were sent to Savannah by rail. Dr. J. Z. Patrick was the community physician until his death in 1953.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
Pulaski was incorporated in 1905. Two banks, Citizens Bank of Pulaski (1907 – 1911) and the Farmer’s Bank (1912 – 1929) operated here. Electricity came during 1929–30 and city water in 1965. The first school and gymnasium were built in 1920. The Pulaski Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1888. The Mt. Zion Methodist Church was built to serve the
In 1914, when Candler County was created, Pulaski was appropriated from Bulloch County. With the consolidation of schools, demise of the railroad and better highways, Pulaski is no longer the busy hub of activity it was in former years.
Erected by The Bulloch County Historical Society, sponsored by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 32° 23.433′ N, 81° 57.383′ W. Marker is in Pulaski, Georgia, in Candler County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and East Railroad Street (County Route 55), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. The marker stands adjacent to the Pulaski Town Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pulaski GA 30451, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Register, Georgia (approx. 4˝ miles away); Excelsior and its Academy (approx. 5.3 miles away); Candler County Courthouse (approx. 6.2 miles away); Candler County (approx. 6.2 miles away); Candler County War Memorial (approx. 6.2 miles away); American Legion Armed Forces TributeUpper Lotts Creek Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Oliff, Rushing, Durrence House (approx. 7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 23, 2019. It was originally submitted on September 23, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 23, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.