Arkansas Post in Arkansas County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The American Era
The land passed from France to the United States in 1803 with the Louisiana Purchase. Arkansas then became a territory on March 2, 1819: the Post of Arkansas was designated its capital.
The Territorial Secretary Robert Crittendon, acting in the absence of Governor James Miller, presided at the territory's first legislature on July 28 of that year.
The first issue of the Arkansas Gazette was published at the Post on November 20, 1819.
Erected by National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 2, 1819.
Location. 34° 1.003′ N, 91° 20.914′ W. Marker is in Arkansas Post, Arkansas, in Arkansas County. Marker can be reached from Old Post Road, 0.8 miles south of State Route 169. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1741 Old Post Road, Gillett AR 72055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Republican France (within shouting distance of this marker); The Post under Spain The French Period (about 400 feet away); Stone from Ruins of Old Bank (about 400 feet away); The European Settlement (about 500 feet away); The Post of Arkansas (about 700 feet away); Edge of Empires (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Colbert Raid (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arkansas Post.
More about this marker. The spelling of Robert Crittendon appears to be incorrect on the marker. It should be Robert Crittenden.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 12, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 408 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 24, 2017, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.