Jamaica in Queens County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
ground, established 1660.
Egbert Benson born 1746
died 1833, buried here. First
Attorney General, N.Y. State.
Erected 1936 by State Education Department.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites.
Location. 40° 42.099′ N, 73° 47.917′ W. Marker is in Jamaica, New York, in Queens County. Marker is on 159th Street south of Archer Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jamaica NY 11433, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Prospect Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Stone Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jamaica Center Sidewalk Clock (approx. 0.2 miles away); The King Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); Jamaica Estates - A Residential Park (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jamaica Estates New York World War II Memorial (approx. 1.2 Morris Park World War I Memorial (approx. 1.6 miles away); Queens Borough Hall Persian Gulf War Memorial (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jamaica.
Also see . . .
1. History (Prospect Cemetery Association). "Prospect Cemetery is the oldest cemetery in Queens and one of the oldest in the five boroughs. Founded in 1668, its markers date from 1709 and comprise a collection of eighteenth, nineteenth, and twentieth century markers and monuments. Prospect Cemetery is the burial site for many Revolutionary War soldiers, as well as some of Queens’ most prominent families with names like Van Wyck, Sutphin and Brinkerhoff. The Cemetery, along with its beautiful chapel, is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and is a designated New York City landmark." (Submitted on September 28, 2017.)
2. Prospect Cemetery (Queens) (Wikipedia). "Prospect Cemetery is a historic cemetery located in the Jamaica section of the New York City borough of Queens. It was established in 1668 and known as the "burring plas." The cemetery’s original main gate was on Beaver Road which led from Sutphin Boulevard to Jamaica Avenue. The cemetery was generally known as the Presbyterian (Submitted on September 28, 2017.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 27, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 132 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on September 27, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2, 3. submitted on September 28, 2017, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4. submitted on October 5, 2020, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.