Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Bangs in Knox County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Knox County Poor Farm / Knox County Infirmary

 
 
Knox County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 10, 2017
1. Knox County Poor Farm Marker
Side A, looking north
Inscription.  
Knox County Poor Farm
The surrounding 132 acres of land served as the Knox County Poor Farm (aka Knox County Infirmary and County Home) from 1842 to 1955. The farm was nearly self-sustaining. Able residents grew their own food, raised livestock, and did various chores as partial compensation for their care. In 1874, a fire in the original wood farmhouse resulted in one death. Public outrage and concerns for resident’s safety compelled the county commissioners to build a new “fireproof” poorhouse. The four-story brick building was constructed from 1875-1877. It is believed to be the last building designed by architect William Tinsley, utilizing a version of the Kirkbride Plan. This plan, conceived by Dr. Thomas Story Kirkbride, improved the layout of institutions and infirmaries for the well-being of their charges.

Knox County Infirmary
Situated across the street, the infirmary had 139 rooms, each with a scenic view, and including a small chapel. The facility provided a home-like atmosphere for people who lived there. The institution moved seven miles north in 1955 when the county could

Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
no longer maintain the facility. The Mount Vernon Bible College occupied the property from 1957 to 1988. On June 26, 2015, a fire destroyed the “fire-proof” Knox County Infirmary. (picture)
 
Erected 2016 by Community Foundation of Mount Vernon and Knox County The Ohio Historical Connection. (Marker Number 11- 42.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureCharity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series list.
 
Location. 40° 20.923′ N, 82° 33.088′ W. Marker is near Bangs, Ohio, in Knox County. Marker is at the intersection of Johnstown Road (County Route 19) and Possum Street (County Route 23), on the left when traveling south on Johnstown Road. marker is in front of the Colonial City Baptist Church. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7530 Co Rd 19 Johnstown Road, Mount Vernon OH 43050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ohio Fallen Heroes Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brandon World War II Honor Roll (approx. 3.4 miles away); Lakeholm Administration Building (approx. 4.4 miles away); Johnny Appleseed's Early Landholdings
Knox County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 10, 2017
2. Knox County Poor Farm Marker
Side B
(approx. 4˝ miles away); South Main Plaza (approx. 4.6 miles away); Jane Payne, M.D. (1825-1882) (approx. 4.6 miles away); Mt. Cavalry Baptist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away); Mt. Calvary Baptist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away).
 
Knox County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 10, 2017
3. Knox County Poor Farm Marker
full view, looking north, towards the village of Bangs, on US 36
Knox County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 10, 2017
4. Knox County Poor Farm Marker
looking south, towards the site of former infirmary
Knox County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 10, 2017
5. Knox County Poor Farm Marker
detail of picture on marker
Knox County Poor Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Rev. Ronald Irick, October 10, 2017
6. Knox County Poor Farm Marker
a surviving building on the site
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on October 10, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on October 10, 2017, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=108925

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024