The School was named for the Quinlan family who owned a farm on Spear Street in the eastern part of Charlotte. The building was disassembled and moved to its present site on the Town Green in 1996. In order to furnish the school, local residents donated items from the time periods that spanned years the school was in use.
[Photo captions, from left to right, read]
Local students participate in living history such as this remembrance at the school. They also collect oral histories from former students: "In the winter, I remember Mrs. Preston used to tell us "Bring a Potato" and have
Interior of Quinlan Schoolhouse. The tin lard pails hanging on the coat rack were used by students to bring their lunches.
When restoring the schoolhouse, volunteers found paper scraps such as these used for insulation in the walls. During the school year, attendance varied widely depending upon the season. During planting or harvesting time, children were needed to help on the farm.
Students from the 1926-27 school year.
Erected by the Town of Charlotte, Chittenden County RPC, Lake Champlain Byway/Basin Program, and Federal Highway Administration.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 44° 18.628′ N, 73° 14.958′ W. Marker is in Charlotte, Vermont, in Chittenden County. Marker is on the Town Green, south of (behind) the Charlotte Library. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 115 Ferry Road, Charlotte VT 05445, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. World War II Memorial (a few steps from this marker); World War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Charlotte Whale
Also see . . . Charlotte VT Official Website. (Submitted on October 13, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on October 13, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 312 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2017, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.