Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Burton in Washington County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of St. Paul-Rehburg School

 
 
St. Paul-Rehburg School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker, August 9, 2017
1. St. Paul-Rehburg School Marker
Inscription.  Although the earliest written records of the St. Paul and Rehburg Schools date to 1880 and 1883 respectively, local tradition suggests they originated with informal classes held at the homes of pioneer farmers in this area of Washington County in the late 1840s. A schoolhouse was erected on St. Paul Lutheran Church property in 1898. This structure served both the St. Paul and Rehberg students following the creation of a single school district in 1909.

Complaints by students that the new schoolhouse was too far from their homes prompted the County Commissioners to construct a new school building nearer the center of the school district in 1914 on land donated by Henry and Wilhelmine Kiel. A third room was added to this structure in 1936 after another local school, called Eberhardt, merged with the St. Paul-Rehburg School. Although the building burned in 1938, it was replaced with a new three-room structure the following year. In 1942 St. Paul-Rehburg provided instruction by three teachers for students through the tenth grade. The school merged with the Burton School District in 1945 and eventually closed in 1946. The school building,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
used by the St. Paul Lutheran Church for 15 years, was razed in 1962.
 
Erected 1993 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8388.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 30° 14.355′ N, 96° 35.727′ W. Marker is in Burton, Texas, in Washington County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1948 north of Rehburg Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Burton TX 77835, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Zion Baptist Church (approx. 2 miles away); Mt. Zion Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Burton High School (approx. 3.8 miles away); St. John's Evangelical and Reformed Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Gideon Lincecum (approx. 3.9 miles away); Steiner & Dallmeyer Building (approx. 3.9 miles away); Texas Pink Granite Rock (approx. 3.9 miles away); Burton Community (approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burton.
 
Also see . . .  Rehburg Settlement, Texas, article in Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on October 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.)
 
St. Paul-Rehburg School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Gregory Walker
2. St. Paul-Rehburg School Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2017, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=109025

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 13, 2024