Camden in Benton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
An early post office of this name was opened Sept. 28, 1835, in the home of William H.H. Burton, which stood at this site. It remained here until Aug. 27, 1837, when it was moved to the public square of Camden and the name changed to "Camden." Samuel H. Burton was the first postmaster. In this Burton home, Benton County was organized Feb. 7, 1836, and the County Court met here until the Courthouse was built.
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4A 30.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Tennessee Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1835.
Location. 36° 3.5′ N, 88° 6.663′ W. Marker is in Camden, Tennessee, in Benton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Westview Avenue, on the right when traveling west on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden TN 38320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Irish CSA Soldiers (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); David Benton Senator Mildred Jolly Lashlee (approx. 0.8 miles away); Mary Cordelia Beasley-Hudson (approx. 0.8 miles away); Thomas Clark Rye (approx. 0.8 miles away); Gunboats and Cavalry (approx. 0.8 miles away); One of Country Music's Darkest Days (approx. 2.8 miles away); Bombarding Johnsonville (approx. 6.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 19, 2017. It was originally submitted on October 17, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2017, by Karen Emerson-McPeak of Triune, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.