Ann Arbor in Washtenaw County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Corners of South University and East University Avenues
In the 1898 panorama above, campus buildings had not yet reached this corner. The School of Engineering and its shops can be seen in the distance. Cousins and Hall greenhouses and florist shop occupied most of the first block across South University, which was then an unpaved boulevard. Houses lined the avenues surrounding campus as well as both sides of South University all the way to Washtenaw Avenue. (See 1880 birdseye at right.)
Over the next 25 years, the neighborhood changed dramatically as buildings filled the original 40-acre campus and expanded beyond. In 1904 the new Engineering Building with a pedestrian archway was added at this end of the diagonal walk. Houses on South University were replaced by Martha Cook dormitory for women in 1915 and by the Law Quadrangle in 1924. The site of the greenhouses became the athletic field for University High School (later the School of Education), built on East University in 1924. Ann Arbor's second apartment house, the Anberay, was built across the street the year before.
John MacGregor's grocery, the first commercial structure on this block, was built on this corner in
Photos courtesy of Bob MacGregor, Marjorie O'Brien, and the Bentley Historical Library
Erected by Ann Arbor Historic District Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 42° 16.52′ N, 83° 44.142′ W. Marker is in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in Washtenaw County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of South University Avenue and East University Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1107 South University Avenue, Ann Arbor MI 48104, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McDivitt-White Plaza (a few steps from this marker); Social and Political Change on South University (within shouting distance of this marker); Engineering at Michigan (within shouting distance of this marker); The Denison Archway (within shouting distance of this marker); West Engineering - West Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); East University Avenue Campus BoundaryMichigan Summer Symposium in Theoretical Physics (about 500 feet away); South University and Forest Avenues (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ann Arbor.
Also see . . . Site 15: Wall Display: The Corners of South University and East University Avenues. Marker on the Downtown Ann Arbor Historical Street Exhibit website. (Submitted on October 18, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 18, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 224 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 28, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 18, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 6. submitted on July 28, 2021, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. 7. submitted on October 18, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.