Cornish in Sullivan County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
The Cornish Colony
The Cornish Colony (1885–1935) was a group of artists, sculptors, writers, journalists, poets, and musicians who joined the sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens in Cornish and found the area a delightful place to live and work. Some prominent members were sculptor Herbert Adams, poet Percy MacKaye, architect Charles A. Platt, artist Kenyon Cox, Stephen Parish and his son Maxfield, and landscape architects Rose Nichols and Ellen Shipman.
Erected 1979 by New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. (Marker Number 134.)
Location. 43° 29.765′ N, 72° 22.55′ W. Marker is in Cornish, New Hampshire, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Wilson Road (New Hampshire Route 12A) 0.1 miles north of St. Gaudens Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cornish NH 03745, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Farragut Monument (approx. half a mile away); Constitution House (approx. 0.9 miles away in Vermont); Winston Churchill (approx. 1½ miles away); Cornish-Windsor Bridge Salmon Portland Chase (approx. 2.9 miles away); Kimball Union Academy (approx. 7 miles away); First Roman Catholic Church (approx. 7.2 miles away); Salmond Bridge (approx. 7.4 miles away in Vermont). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cornish.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
More. Search the internet for The Cornish Colony.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2017. This page originally submitted on October 30, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 78 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 30, 2017, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.