Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sulphur in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

The Henning Family

Area Pioneers, Community Leaders, Business & Industry Stalwarts

 
 
The Henning Family Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 6, 2017
1. The Henning Family Marker
Inscription.  The Henning Family arrived in Calcasieu Parish in approximately 1875 and began to lay the foundation for a remarkable tenure as community, business and industry leaders. Reverend John Henning and Family, including son John Thomas Henning, arrived in Calcasieu Parish Calcasieu Parish after the Civil War from Alabama, taking a circuitous route to British Honduras and East Texas. The end of their journey marked the beginning of a truly historic partnership between the Hennings and Southwest Louisiana. Reverend John Henning organized a Methodist Society at Rose Bluff, Dutch Cove and Toomey and served as a circuit riders at the Sulphur Mines, Westlake and Sulphur. John T. Henning homesteaded land along the Calcasieu River and farmed prior to moving to Sulphur in 1885. John T. owned a Boarding House and Transfer Company that hauled the first sulfur from the Union Sulfur Company to the railroad and was postmaster and ticket agent. John T. was instrumental in the construction of three Methodist Churches in Sulphur in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s culminating in the Henning Memorial Methodist Church that exists to this day on Huntington Street in
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
downtown Sulphur. Mr. Henning owned the largest mercantile store in Sulphur also along Huntington Street. (Later his son, W.T. Henning owned a general mercantile store along Huntington Street.) The Henning store was nestled among other noteworthy early Sulphur community leaders businesses such as J.J. Koonce, George Service, W.T. Burton, Dr. Richard Vincent and Dr. Samuel Lyons. In Circa 1911 John T. constructed the Henning House where the family resided until approximately 1923. William T. Henning, son of John T., continued in his father’s footsteps as a prominent business leader. William T. was on the first City Council of Sulphur and was president of the School Board. Mr. Henning created what came to be known as Cameron Telephone Company in 1928. Cameron Telephone forded rivers, marshes and streams to bring the first phone service to Hackberry and Cameron Parish. William T. Henning’s sons, John T. and William L. Henning, continued and expanded the phone company and all of its offerings to include some first time communication services to the offshore oil & gas industry. Later, the Henning family also introduced cellular wire service to Southwest Louisiana. The Henning family continues to provide community and business leadership to Sulphur and Southwest Louisiana as we begin to approach one & one-half centuries since their arrival.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these
The Henning Family Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 6, 2017
2. The Henning Family Marker
topic lists: Churches & ReligionCommunicationsIndustry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
 
Location. 30° 13.845′ N, 93° 22.601′ W. Marker is in Sulphur, Louisiana, in Calcasieu Parish. Marker can be reached from Ruth Street south of Cypress Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker located at the Henning Cultural Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 923 Ruth Street, Sulphur LA 70663, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Barbe Pier (approx. 8.4 miles away); Lake Charles 9/11 Memorial (approx. 9.2 miles away); Captain Daniel Johannes Goos (approx. 9.2 miles away); Steven L. Bennet (approx. 9.3 miles away); Emanual Stance (approx. 9.3 miles away); John Williams (approx. 9.3 miles away); Hampton M. Roach (approx. 9.3 miles away); Howard Gilmore (approx. 9.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  About the Henning Cultural Center. (Submitted on November 2, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
 
The John T. Henning House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 6, 2017
3. The John T. Henning House
Hitching Rings image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tom Bosse, July 6, 2017
4. Hitching Rings
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 2, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 433 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 2, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=109527

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024