Marker Logo
THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stilson in Bulloch County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Stilson, Georgia

 
 
Stilson, Georgia Marker, side 1 image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Rodney J. Harville
1. Stilson, Georgia Marker, side 1
Inscription.
(side 1)
When the Savannah & Statesboro Railway was completed in 1899, some of the stations along the track began to grow into villages. One of these was Stilson, named for Stilson Hutchinson who was instrumental in getting the Railway to pass through this area. The first postmaster was William Strickland in 1899 and the last was Edith Hutchinson in 1966. In 1900, Stilson had a population of 138. Businesses in 1909 traded in naval stores, melons, cotton, timber and turpentine. The town was surrounded by prosperous farmers.

Dr. Frank Forest Floyd was the first doctor in Stilson. When he moved to Statesboro, Dr. Dan L. Deal began his practice in 1910. In 1901 the new town built a two story school called Stilson Academy. The advertisement announcing the school read, “All Branches Taught. Board moderate. Tuition reasonable.” Professor Ingraham was the first teacher. In 1952, Stilson High School won both the Boys and Girls State Basketball Championships.
(Continued on other side)
(side 2)
(Continued from other side)
In 1903, the Presbyterian minister in Statesboro, S.W. DuBose, established a Presbyterian Mission
Paid Advertisement
Click or scan to see
this page online
in Stilson. In 1952 a chapel was dedicated. The mission closed in the early 1970s.

With the demise of the railroad and the growth of US Hwy 80 west of town, Stilson began to decline. By 1955, Stilson High had closed and students were sent to Southeast Bulloch High School in nearby Brooklet, Georgia.

Notables from Stilson are Bette Beasley Anderson, Under Secretary of the Treasury; B. Avant Edenfield, Senior Judge U.S. Court Southern District; and Faye Sanders Martin, first woman Chief Judge Superior Courts, Ogeechee Judicial Circuit.
 
Erected by the Bulloch County Historical Society, supported by the Jack N. & Addie D. Averitt Foundation.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1899.
 
Location. 32° 19.532′ N, 81° 33.019′ W. Marker is in Stilson, Georgia, in Bulloch County. It is at the intersection of Georgia Route 119C Connector Road and Stilson Road (County Route 574), on the left when traveling east on Georgia Route 119C. Located at the Stilson Community Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near
Stilson, Georgia Marker, side 2 image. Click for full size.
Photographed by Rodney J. Harville
2. Stilson, Georgia Marker, side 2
this postal address: 15569 GA-119, Brooklet GA 30415, United States of America. Touch for directions.

Regionally, this marker is in Georgia’s Coastal Plain. It is also in the American South and specifically in the Deep South. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the territory of the Mississippian Culture, one of the original Thirteen Colonies, one of the Confederate States of America, and the Antebellum South.

Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies: John Abbot 1751 - 1840 (approx. 3 miles away); John Abbot (1751-1839) (approx. 3.3 miles away); Old River Road (approx. 5.4 miles away); Brooklet, Georgia (approx. 7.6 miles away); Upper Black Creek Church (approx. 7.8 miles away); Upper Black Creek Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Camp Davis, Military Instructional Camp, C.S.A. (approx. 8.4 miles away); Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Normal and Industrial Institute (approx. 8.9 miles away).
 
Stilson, Georgia Marker (Side 2) image. Click for full size.
Photographed by David Seibert, January 18, 2015
3. Stilson, Georgia Marker (Side 2)
Example of its original casting. The marker was damaged sometime in 2017 and was recast and reinstalled by 2024.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2024. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 2,002 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on July 18, 2024.   3. submitted on November 6, 2017, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.
m=109681

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 22, 2026