Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Moscow in Latah County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

University of Idaho

 
 
University of Idaho Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 26, 2013
1. University of Idaho Marker
Inscription.  
Like this Long Highway, the University of Idaho links together the northern and southern parts of the state of Idaho.

Established by the territorial legislature, Jan. 30, 1889, the university opened in the fall of 1892. As Idaho’s land grant institution, the university was charged to bring the benefits of quality teaching, research, and service to the people of Idaho. Its nine colleges and its graduate school now serve thousands of students, and it is the major center for higher education in Idaho.
 
Erected by Idaho State Historical Society & Idaho Transportation Department. (Marker Number 279.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Idaho State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 30, 1889.
 
Location. 46° 41.718′ N, 117° 0.485′ W. Marker is in Moscow, Idaho, in Latah County. Marker is on U.S. 95, 0.1 miles south of Cameron Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is located along a wide shoulder section
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
on the east side of US highway 95. It is shaded and can be partially hidden by trees. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2922 HWY 95 South, Moscow ID 83843, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Title Building (approx. 2.6 miles away); Colton (approx. 10˝ miles away in Washington).
 
More about this marker. A large wooden marker in good condition
 
Also see . . .
1. About the University of Idaho.
Since 1889, the University of Idaho has provided motivated students with a transformative higher education experience that prepares them to solve real-world problems and achieve success in their lives and careers. Beginning with our beautiful residential campus in Moscow, the university’s reach extends throughout Idaho, serving over 12,000 students with educational centers in Coeur d’Alene, Boise and Idaho Falls, a research and extension center in Twin Falls, plus Extension offices in 42 counties. (Submitted on November 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

2. University of Idaho Historical Photograph Collection.
A digital collection comprised of historical photographs and documents pertaining to the history of the University of Idaho, selected from several different collections held by the University of Idaho Library Special Collections
University of Idaho Marker (<i>wide view</i>) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, June 26, 2013
2. University of Idaho Marker (wide view)
& Archives. The images and documents span the years 1889 to 1975, documenting campus life at the University. (Submitted on November 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 

3. University of Idaho.
Formed by the territorial legislature on January 30, 1889, the university opened its doors in 1892 on October 3, with an initial class of 40 students. The first graduating class in 1896 contained two men and two women. As a land-grant university and the primary research university in the state, UI has the largest campus in the state at 1,585 acres. (Submitted on November 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 266 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=109682

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024