Bradley in Lafayette County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
The Old Walnut Hill Schoolhouse
In 1842, Arkansas' first governor, James Sevier Conway moved into his new home , calling it "Walnut Hill" and established the post office with the same name. From that time until the end of the nineteenth century Walnut Hill was the social, trade and educational center for the area, but with the coming of the railroad, the new town of Bradley gradually became the center. By 1828, the Walnut Hill school had closed and its main building was relocated to Bradley to where it provided classrooms for grades one through four. Eventually, two rooms were added on the north side of the building, but the original structure in which so many Roane Township citizens began their formal education, remains as it was more
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 33° 6.094′ N, 93° 39.58′ W. Marker is in Bradley, Arkansas, in Lafayette County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Old Ferry Road and West Seventh Street. Located in front of Bradley Elementary School,521 School Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bradley AR 71826, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 6, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 179 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 6, 2017, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.