Lewiston in Nez Perce County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
The First Capital
The organization of Idaho Territory was proclaimed in Lewiston July 10, 1863
and the first two legislatures met here
Erected by Idaho Historical Society & Idaho Transportation Department. (Marker Number 167.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Idaho State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is July 10, 1863.
Location. 46° 27.697′ N, 116° 59.522′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, Idaho, in Nez Perce County. Marker is on U.S. 95, 3 miles south of Old Spiral Highway, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in a pull-out overlooking the city of Lewiston, and the Clearwater and Snake Rivers. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewiston ID 83501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Lewis Clark State College (here, next to this marker); Mackenzie's Post (here, next to this marker); Bert Zimmerly (approx. 1.1 miles away); Steamboats (approx. 1.2 miles away); Lewiston Hill (approx. 1.2 miles away); 18th St. Bridge (approx. 3 miles away); John Silcott (approx. 3 miles away); The Early Years in Nez Perce County (approx. 3.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
More about this marker. Large wooden marker in good condition
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 216 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.