Camden in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
In 1780 - 81, the British built a series of small forts or redoubts to serve as an outer line of defense for their headquarters at Camden. They were fortified with troops and artillery, making Camden relatively impenetrable to attack by the Colonial forces. The two western redoubts on Campbell St. protected Camden’s important western flank from Wateree river. The large redoubt on this site spanned the intersection of Meeting and Campbell Streets. It was destroyed by the British when they evacuated in 1781.
Erected by Kershaw County Clean Community Commission, Historic Campbell Street Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 34° 14.039′ N, 80° 36.59′ W. Marker is in Camden, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Meeting Street and Campbell Street, on the right when traveling west on Meeting Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden SC 29020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named West Redoubt (a few steps from this Quaker Burying Ground (a few steps from this marker); Quaker Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Unknown Confederate Soldiers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Camden Oak (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Revolutionary War Memorial (about 600 feet away); Southwest Redoubt (about 600 feet away); Maj. Gen. Baron Johann de Kalb's Original Gravesite (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
More about this marker. Marker is located near the entrance to the Quaker Cemetery.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 167 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.