Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Ketchum in Blaine County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Galena

 
 
Galena Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 25, 2017
1. Galena Marker
Inscription.  After Warren P. Callahan located a rich lead-silver mine here, April 26, 1876, thousands of eager treasure-hunters joined in a rush to Wood River in 1880
Successful prosectors discovered valuable lodes from here to Bellevue. Galena has a hotel, four general stores, a livery stable, several saloons and dining halls, a shoe store, and daily stage service to Hailey. After a ruinous decline in silver prices in 1888, its mines were shut down. But Galena continued as a recreation center.
 
Erected by Idaho Department of Transportation. (Marker Number 484.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Idaho State Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 26, 1876.
 
Location. 43° 52.254′ N, 114° 39.27′ W. Marker is near Ketchum, Idaho, in Blaine County. Marker is on State Highway 75 at milepost 152 near Forest Road 409, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ketchum ID 83340, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 3 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salmon River (approx. 4˝ miles away); Vienna (approx. 6.6 miles away); Sawtooth City (approx. 8.7 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  (Galena) History - Galena Lodge. In 1905 President Theodore Roosevelt signed the Sawtooth National Forest into existence. While silver no longer lured prospectors, other natural resources began attracting visitors. The Galena Store served as the last Wood River Valley outpost in the early 1900’s for the hunter and fisherman drawn to the “Switzerland of America”. (Submitted on November 14, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.) 
 
Galena Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 25, 2017
2. Galena Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 289 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 14, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110052

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 15, 2024