Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ketchum in Blaine County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

Ketchum

 
 
Ketchum Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
1. Ketchum Marker
Inscription.  Pioneering explorer Alexander Ross visited the valley in search of beaver in 1821. The Hudson's Bay Company reported the area as "promising." Ketchum's short mining era began in 1879, after the Sheepeater War and the relocation of the Native American population. Ketchum was named after David Ketchum, the prospector who discovered the first lead and silver deposits in the valley. He built a log cabin on the Wood River, lived in it for one winter, made money selling his real estate interests, and left never to return. In 1880, the City of Ketchum was formed near Warm Springs Creek along the Wood River. Taking advantage of a year round water supply, the Philadelphia Smelter, off Warm Springs Road, began operating in 1882, complete with some of the nation's first electric lights. The Oregon Shoreline Railroad reached the area in 1884.
In the 1890s the smelter processed ore from mines as far away as Challis. After a decline in silver prices, Ketchum residents, mostly miners, began to leave. Ketchum soon rebounded. The city became a premier sheep-shipping center and a popular destination for tourists seeking to "take the cure" at area hot springs.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
On January 16, 1936, the area's future reputation as America's first world class ski resort began. Union Pacific owner W. Averell Harriman ended his search with a declaration from the Austrian Count Felix Schaffgotsch: "Among the many attractive spots I have visited, this combines more delightful features of any place in the United Staters, Switzerland, or Austria for a winter sports resort." On December 21, 1936, the celebrated Sun Valley Resort was opened triggering growth that continues today.
 
Erected 2005 by The Ketchum-Sun Valley Historical Society; City of Ketchum; E Clampus Vitus, Chief Truckee Chapter No. 3691, Lewis and Clark Outpost No. 1805.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & SettlersSports. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 21, 1936.
 
Location. 43° 40.908′ N, 114° 21.784′ W. Marker is in Ketchum, Idaho, in Blaine County. Marker can be reached from Sun Valley Road near East Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 491 Sun Valley Road, Ketchum ID 83340, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lewis Ore Wagons (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Congregational Church (about
Ketchum Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
2. Ketchum Marker
700 feet away); Ski Lifts (approx. 2.3 miles away); W.H. Watt Building (approx. 11.4 miles away); Bullion Block Site/Werthheimer Building (approx. 11˝ miles away); J.J. Tracy Building (approx. 11˝ miles away); J.C. Fox Building (approx. 11˝ miles away); Rialto Hotel (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ketchum.
 
More about this marker. The marker is on the back of the building, facing the Town Square.
 
Ernest Hemingway Memorial near Ketchum image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
3. Ernest Hemingway Memorial near Ketchum
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 319 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110105

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024