Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ketchum in Blaine County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

The Congregational Church

 
 
The Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
1. The Congregational Church Marker
Inscription.  The First Congregational Church of Ketchum, Idaho was built in 1884 during expansion of the Church across America. By the late 1840's, Christian abolitionists gained strength in the struggle against slavery. Unwilling to remain in the union of Christian faiths, and slave-ownership, they broke away from the Presbyterian faith. The pastor of the Ketchum Church was the Rev. George Ritchie. In 1891, the Church was sold to the Episcopalian Church, and thereafter was abandoned and sold to become the Leadville Espresso House in the 1970's, popular with many visiting celebrities. After the Leadville Espresso closed, it became the Italian-cuisine Louie's Restaurant. In 1999, it was purchased and preserved by the Ketchum/Sun Valley Historical Society, then moved to it's present location and restored by new owners in 2007.
 
Erected by Ketchum/Sun Valley Historical Society. (Marker Number 2007.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 43° 41.004′ N, 114° 21.876′ W.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Marker is in Ketchum, Idaho, in Blaine County. Marker is on East Avenue near 6th Street East, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 560 East Avenue, Ketchum ID 83340, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Lewis Ore Wagons (within shouting distance of this marker); Ketchum (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ski Lifts (approx. 2.2 miles away); W.H. Watt Building (approx. 11˝ miles away); Bullion Block Site/Werthheimer Building (approx. 11.6 miles away); J.J. Tracy Building (approx. 11.6 miles away); J.C. Fox Building (approx. 11.6 miles away); Rialto Hotel (approx. 11.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ketchum.
 
The Congregational Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 26, 2017
2. The Congregational Church Marker
The marker is fixed to the bottom of "The Picket Fence" sign.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 15, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110106

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024