Clear Creek Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky
Clear Creek Furnace
Built in 1839, 5 miles south, by W. A. Lane and W. S. Allen. Stone stack originally 40 ft. high and 10 1/2 ft. across inside, burning charcoal. Air blast powered by steam. Its iron was used mainly for railway car wheels. Operated until about 1857, then idle until rebuilt and renamed Bath Furnace 1872-73. In 1874 produced 1339 tons. Last blast 1875.
Iron Made in Kentucky
A major producer since 1791, Ky. ranked 3rd in US in 1830s, 11th in 1965. Charcoal timber, native ore, limestone supplied material for numerous furnaces making pig iron, utensils, munitions in the Hanging Rock, Red River, Between Rivers, Rolling Fork, Green River Regions. Old charcoal furnace era ended by depletion of ore and timber and the growth of railroads. See over.
Erected 1967 by Kentucky Historical Society and Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1050.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Appalachian Iron Furnaces
Location. 38° 7.064′ N, 83° 36.947′ W. Marker is in Salt Lick, Kentucky, in Bath County. Marker is on Main Street (Kentucky Route 211), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Salt Lick KY 40371, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Unwind with Us (a few steps from this marker); Caney Furnace / Iron Made in Kentucky (approx. 2.3 miles away); An Early Boom Town (approx. 4 miles away); Morgan Raiders' Camp (approx. 4 miles away); Olympian Springs (approx. 5 miles away); Bourbon Iron Works / Iron Made in Kentucky (approx. 7.2 miles away); Gen. Hood Birthplace (approx. 8.2 miles away); Courthouse Burned (approx. 8.3 miles away).
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 100 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 15, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.