Near Andrews in Andrews County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Midland and Northwestern Railroad
Fasken purchased the C Ranch in 1912 from estate of Chicago meat packer Nelson Morris. Used part of land for track right-of-way. Developed railroad to ship cattle to markets and encourage settlement. Town of Fasken at peak had one-story depot, hotel, general store, two dwelling houses, schoolhouse and stock pens.
The standard gauge line had one passenger coach, two flatcars, a mail and express car. Had trouble keeping on schedule because equipment was old and needed repairs constantly. Fireman and engineer shot coyotes en route to break monotony. In 1920, M.&N.W. went into receivership, and was sold to T.&P. after flash floods floated crossties away from roadbed.
After approval by the Texas Railroad Commission, M.&N.W. was abandoned in 1923. Line was without prospects of increasing tonnage, was not prudently located, and would have lost money
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3361.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical date for this entry is January 16, 1916.
Location. 32° 19.922′ N, 102° 23.954′ W. Marker is near Andrews, Texas, in Andrews County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 1788, half a mile north of State Highway 176, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Andrews TX 79714, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Means Methodist Church (approx. 8.6 miles away); Shafter's Trail (approx. 8.6 miles away); Billionth Barrel (approx. 8.7 miles away); Two Billionth Barrel (approx. 8.7 miles away); Andrews County Veterans Memorial (approx. 9.1 miles away); World War II (approx. 9.1 miles away); Fight Against Terrorism (approx. 9.1 miles away); Vietnam War (approx. 9.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Andrews.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 270 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.