National Register Historic District / Morehead State University
National Register Historic District
Nine buildings erected from 1926-32 fitting in a "crescent moon" plan. Rader, Fields, Allie Young Halls, 1926; Thompson Hall, 1927; Button Auditorium, 1928; President's Home, 1929; Breckinridge Training School and Camden Library, 1931; Senff Natatorium, 1932. Landscape plan: Olmstead Bros.; Collegiate Gothic design: Joseph & Joseph Architects.
Morehead State University
Morehead Christian School founded in 1887 for United Christian Missionary Society of St. Louis by Mrs. Phebe Button and her son Dr. F. C. Button. Became easternmost State Normal School in 1922; changed to Morehead State Teachers College in 1930; and named Morehead State University in 1966. Presented by MSU Foundation.
Erected 1995 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1952.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1926.
Location. 38° 11.145′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Building And Land (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. William E. Barber, USMC (within shouting distance of this marker); First Faculty And Staff (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel John Hargis (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quilting Memories (about 700 feet away); Allie Young Law Office (about 700 feet away); Courthouse Burned (about 700 feet away); Freedom Park (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morehead.
Also see . . . Morehead State University. (Submitted on November 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 13, 2018. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 5. submitted on July 12, 2018, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 6, 7. submitted on November 17, 2017, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.