Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Murphy in Owyhee County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
 

The Murphy School House District 14

 
 
The Murphy School House District 14 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 27, 2017
1. The Murphy School House District 14 Marker
Inscription.  District 14 was created in 1898 for the Guffy area. This was formerly part of District 9. District 14 encompassed the land between Walter's Ferry to the mouth of Sinker Creek and ran south (to) Diamond Basin. The original schoolhouse was built in 1911. The Guffy portion would become District 27 and in 1918 the Murphy Flat area became District 12. The Murphy schoolhouse is a one room classroom with a small coatroom that also served as a library. The building was move from the southwest edge of Murphy in 1935 to its current location. School District 14 lapsed in 1944 due to lack of students but became operational again in 1952 as part of District 1. The school was permanently closed in 1963 and at this time the school house was turned over to the Owyhee County Historical Society and became the first museum and library.
 
Erected 2016 by E Clampus Vitus, Snake River Chapter No. 1811.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
 
Location. 43° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
12.957′ N, 116° 33.064′ W. Marker is in Murphy, Idaho, in Owyhee County. Marker is on Basey Street near Hailey Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17085 Basey Street, Murphy ID 83650, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named The Murphy School House District 14 (here, next to this marker); The Otter Massacre (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); War Eagle Mines (approx. 4˝ miles away); Diamond Gulch (approx. 4˝ miles away); Guffey Bridge Snake River Idaho (approx. 6 miles away); Steamer "Shoshone" (approx. 9 miles away); Tower Theater (approx. 11.1 miles away); Givens Springs (approx. 15.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murphy.
 
More about this marker. The school is part of the Owyhee County Museum and Library.
 
The Murphy School House District 14 Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 27, 2017
2. The Murphy School House District 14 Marker
Pioneer Cabin image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 27, 2017
3. Pioneer Cabin
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 317 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 17, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110208

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 21, 2024