Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
O'Donnell in Lynn County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

O'Donnell

 
 
O'Donnell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 11, 2017
1. O'Donnell Marker
Inscription.  Named for Tom J. O'Donnell, promoter of South Plains Railroads, including 60 miles of Santa Fe Line from Slaton to Lamesa. On this new railroad (important as freight hauler) town of O'Donnell was founded in 1909 by H. E. Baldridge and Charles H. Doak-- two of the organizers and first officials of Lynn County. Doak built a hotel in projected town of O'Donnell in 1909. L. G. Phillips established the first store.

On July 4, 1910, a big picnic was held to celebrate arrival of first Santa Fe train. Old "Central" post office (previously on Dee W. Harris Ranch, 5.5 mi. NW) was moved to new town in 1910 and was officially renamed O'Donnell on Feb. 7, 1911. W. R. Standefer was employed to survey townsite in 1911. H. E. Baldridge offered free building lots to churches. A Methodist church was organized in 1911; Church of Christ and Presbyterian churches in 1912; First Baptist in 1914.

Town was incorporated in 1923, with W. R. Sanderson as first mayor. School, improved dramatically since its early wooden building, serves a large area. A graduate is actor Dan Blocker ("Hoss" Cartwright).

Now a dry land farming center,
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
O'Donnell in 1961 had what was then the largest cotton gin in the world, ginning 21,000 bales of cotton during that year.
 
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3630.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1910.
 
Location. 32° 57.887′ N, 101° 49.949′ W. Marker is in O'Donnell, Texas, in Lynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Doak Street and 8th Street, on the right when traveling north on Doak Street. Marker is on the southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Odonnell TX 79351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The A. J. Warren Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Quanah Parker Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Quanah Parker Trail (approx. one mile away); New Moore Community (approx. 12.3 miles away); Lynn County Courthouse (approx. 14 miles away); Lynn County (approx. 14 miles away); a different marker also named Lynn County Courthouse (approx. 14 miles away); Tahoka (approx. 14.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in O'Donnell.
 
O'Donnell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 11, 2017
2. O'Donnell Marker
O'Donnell Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 11, 2017
3. O'Donnell Marker
Bust of Dan Blocker is at far left in photo.
Dan Blocker ("Hoss" Cartwright) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 11, 2017
4. Dan Blocker ("Hoss" Cartwright)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110306

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2024