Daniel Scott Plantation
In 1853, planters Daniel Scott and Daniel Finley of Fairfield, South Carolina, bought 2,664 acres of land here for $6,743, and in 1854 Scott was taxed on 1,400 acres and 30 enslaved people. In 1855, Scott and Finley purchased 54 people for $28,000 from George Leitner in South Carolina. Every person's name, except infants, was listed on the deed. In 1858, Scott bought out Finley, and by 1860 Scott and his children James (35), George (20), Maxey (8) and Emma (6) lived in the house that stood on this site. Enslaved carpenters built the two-story, center hall, timber-framed house with yellow pine. The studs were marked with incised Roman numerals and fastened with mortise and tenon joints. Enslaved masons built the chimney with bricks made on site. W. R. Craig (35), a master carpenter lived with Scott's son William (22), his wife Mary (21) on 125 acres east of the Scott property. In 1860, Daniel Scott owned 2,690 acres valued at $14,000, and 66 enslaved people with a value of $31,500. The 1860 Slave Schedule indicated that 61 people lived in 12 one-room cabins. That same year the plantation produced 26,000 pounds of Sea Island
(Continued on other side)
Scott's sons James and George died during the Civil War, but William (Company B, 2nd FL Infantry) survived despite being shot in the neck and back and captured at Gettysburg. Daniel Scott sold his land in 1866 to E.L. King and moved to Jefferson County with his grandchildren and neighbor, Mittie Harley, whom he married. They had two children, Harley Daniel and Eva. Scott repurchased the plantation in 1871, two years before he died. Martha Perry, the widow of Governor Madison Starke Perry, later bought it. Her daughter Sally sold the land in 1883 to William Holdridge and John Dent. They platted the property as Grove Park in 1884. Scott's daughter Emma and her husband Sam Waits purchased the property in 1917. Sam operated a sawmill for the W.B. Phifer Co., a turpentine and sawmill company. The Waits sold the property to the company in 1924. The H.H. Surrency family bought it in 1954 and lived here until 1974. They donated the house and one acre to Alachua County in 2004. The house and its circa 1900 kitchen addition stood here until 2008. The circa 1903 Waits house stands to the west of the Scott home site.
Erected 2016 by The Alachua County Historical Commission and the Florida Department of State. (Marker
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Horticulture & Forestry • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 36.055′ N, 82° 9.349′ W. Marker is in Grove Park, Florida, in Alachua County. Marker is on Southeast Hawthorne Road (State Road 20) 0.1 miles east of Southeast 152nd Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hawthorne FL 32640, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hawthorne (approx. 4.2 miles away); The Moore Hotel (1883) (approx. 4.2 miles away); Rochelle Vicinity (approx. 4.3 miles away); Madison Starke Perry (approx. 6.8 miles away); Alachua Sink (approx. 8.9 miles away); Living Links to Florida's Past (approx. 8.9 miles away); A Cattle Economy (approx. 8.9 miles away); Trains Rumbled Overhead (approx. 8.9 miles away).
Regarding Daniel Scott Plantation. An outline of the foundation is on site. The area is planned to be developed into a small park.
Also see . . . Daniel Scott History. (Submitted on November 23, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 23, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 237 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 23, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.