Wilson in Lynn County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Wilson Mercantile Company
Green later bought out his associates, and shortly thereafter he and Lonnie Lumsden acquired over 50 sections of the old Dixie Ranch in the north part of Lynn County. Their ranching headquarters were a mile east of here. Green introduced farming on the school lands, bringing in settlers (many from his home county, Lavaca)-- some as purchasers, some as tenants. The community was called Wilson, for the original tract, and indirectly for Rev. J. C. Wilson, State Senator for whom Wilson County was named.
The town was founded 1911, after Green influenced Panhandle & Santa Fe Railway to put its line here.
Green's original frame mercantile store, nucleus for the town, was replaced in 1917 by this building.
In 1963 Wilson Mercantile was restored by Mrs. William Dickson Green, daughter-in-law of founder; her work has made the building a repository for items authentic to the period when the Greens came
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 5857.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 33° 19.034′ N, 101° 43.462′ W. Marker is in Wilson, Texas, in Lynn County. Marker is at the intersection of Green Avenue and 10th Street, on the right when traveling west on Green Avenue. Marker is on south wall of building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilson TX 79381, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Mackenzie Cavalry Camp (approx. 0.4 miles away); Spanish Explorers' Route (approx. half a mile away); Green Memorial Park Cemetery (approx. 1.3 miles away); Lynn County (approx. 8.1 miles away); Mercy Hospital (approx. 9 miles away); Slaton Bakery (approx. 9˝ miles away); Slaton Volunteer Fire Department (approx. 9˝ miles away); Slaton (approx. 9˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilson.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2017. It was originally submitted on November 24, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 179 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 24, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.