Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Captain Cook in Hawaii County, Hawaii — Hawaiian Island Archipelago (Pacific Ocean)
 

First Christian Service in Hawaii

 
 
First Christian Service in Hawaii Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, December 25, 2008
1. First Christian Service in Hawaii Marker
This marker is missing.
Inscription.  
In this heiau
January-28-1779
Captain James Cook, R.N.
Read the English
Burial Service over
William Whitman, Seaman
the first recorded
Christian service
in the Hawaiian Islands

 
Erected 1928 by Kona Civic Club.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionExploration. A significant historical date for this entry is January 28, 1779.
 
Location. 19° 28.53′ N, 155° 55.176′ W. Marker is in Captain Cook, Hawaii, in Hawaii County. Marker can be reached from Puuhonua Road near Lower Nåpo'opo'o Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 82-6099 Puuhonua Road, Captain Cook HI 96704, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Memory of Captain James Cook, R.N. (approx. one mile away); Greenwell Store (approx. 2.4 miles away); Pu‘uhona O Hōnaunau - Place of Refuge (approx. 3.8 miles away); Royal Center at Keauhou Bay (approx. 6½ miles away); The Kamehameha Dynasty
First Christian Service in Hawaii Marker is missing image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, August 31, 2017
2. First Christian Service in Hawaii Marker is missing
Hikiau Heiau is in the background.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 6½ miles away); Kauikeaouli and Nāhi'ena'ena (approx. 6½ miles away); Birthplace of Kauikeaouli (approx. 6.6 miles away); Kauikeaouli, Kamehameha III (approx. 6.6 miles away).
 
More about this marker. This marker is located at Kealakekua Bay State Historical Park.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on November 28, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 28, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110794

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Dec. 8, 2022