Fraser in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Fire Apparatus Bell
The forest fire apparatus bell in America appeared in 1803 on a hose wagon owned by the Philadelphia Hose Company No. 1. A spring-operated clapper rang the bell as the wheels turned, and acted as the warning device. Fire engines to this day are still built with the historic fire bell.
The above bell came from an American LaFrance fire engine. It is from one of two such fire engines the department took delivery on in 1961 and 1964, which stayed in service fighting fires until 1986 and 1991, respectively.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Historic Bells 🔔 series list.
Location. 42° 31.925′ N, 82° 55.798′ W. Marker is in Fraser, Michigan, in Macomb County. Marker is at the intersection of Masonic Boulevard and Kelly Road, on the right when traveling west on Masonic Boulevard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18577 Masonic Boulevard, Fraser MI 48026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Baumgartner House 1875 (a few steps from this marker); Baumgartner HouseErin United Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.1 miles away); A Plank Road History (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rapid Railway Company (approx. 1.1 miles away); Packard Field in Roseville (approx. 1.1 miles away); Watching the Big Show (approx. 1.1 miles away); Frenchy's Auto Parts (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fraser.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 1, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 205 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 1, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.