Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
An important Confederate stronghold during the Civil War, Marshall was home to the wartime capital of Missouri and the Postal Headquarters of the South’s Trans-Mississippi Department. Following the war, it was the site of an office of the Freedmen’s Bureau.
After the Texas and Pacific Railway located its Division Point, shops, and offices here in the 1870’s, Marshall became a major regional marketing and educational center. Colleges located here included Marshall University, Marshall Masonic Female Institute, Wiley College, Bishop College, and
Erected 1964 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10188.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓 series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1839.
Location. 32° 32.708′ N, 94° 22.063′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of West Houston Street and North Wellington Street, on the left when traveling west on West Houston Street. Marker is located the west side of the Harrison County Historical Museum (former Harrison County Courthouse). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 West Houston Street, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harrison County (here, next to this marker); James Harper Starr (a few steps from this marker); General Elkanah Greer / Knights of the Golden Circle (a few steps from this marker); Governor Edward Clark (a few steps from this marker); Telegraph Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of The Capitol HotelSam Houston's 1857 Campaign in Marshall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Marshall Masonic Female Institute (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Also see . . .
1. Marshall, Texas.
At the time Harrison County was created in 1839, its county seat was located at Greensborough on the Sabine River. Marshall was established in early 1841 to serve as the seat of justice for Panola Judicial District. Two years later, as a result of a Supreme Court decision that invalidated judicial districts and in an effort to influence the commissioners who were choosing a site for the county seat of the newly-constituted Harrison County, Peter Whetstone offered land for a courthouse, a church, and a school. (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Marshall Civil War History.
Marshall served many purposes during the war. It was a major center of politics, military operations and supplier of necessities, especially gun powder. The town's Confederate backing, as well as its location on the map, allowed it to serve as a power center west of the Mississippi, ideal for Confederate conferences. At one point, Marshall was the temporary capital of the Missouri Confederate Government (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 15, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 1, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 5, 6. submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.