Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Tampa Free Public Library

 
 
Tampa Free Public Library Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, May 19, 2017
1. Tampa Free Public Library Marker
Inscription.  Built with a $50,000 grant from industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, the Tampa Free Public Library opened its doors in April 27, 1917, becoming the City of Tampa's first public library. This venture was the result of a sustained community effort led by the Tampa Woman's Club and the Tampa Board of Trade, a tax approval by citizens for annual operating costs, a 4,000-book donation by Mr. and Mrs. L.H. Lothridge, and the dedicated work of head librarian, Helen V. Stelle (1917-1947). Designed by architect Fred J. James and constructed in 1915 at 102 E. 7th Avenue by Aulic, Bastes & Hudnell, the 35,212-square-foot Classical Revival building features brown and yellow brick, rusticated granite, a barrel tile roof, and 16-foot ceilings. It served as the main library for Tampa Public Library for 50 years. The Tampa Free Public Library closed its doors on April 6, 1968, when a newly-built, modern, central library at 900 N. Ashley Drive in downtown Tampa opened. The Tampa Free Public Library building is designated as a City of Tampa Local Historic Landmark; it was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991.
 
Erected
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
2015 by Hillsborough County Historical Advisory Council, Friends of the Library of Tampa-Hillsborough County, Inc.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureEducation. A significant historical date for this entry is April 27, 1917.
 
Location. 27° 57.632′ N, 82° 27.648′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of East 7th Aveune and North Tampa Street (Business U.S. 41), on the right when traveling west on East 7th Aveune. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 102 East 7th Avenue, Tampa FL 33602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. C. Cecilia Morse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Billy Graham Began Here (approx. 0.4 miles away); Pioneer Priests' Graves (approx. 0.4 miles away); Clara C. Frye (approx. half a mile away); Madame Fortune Taylor Bridge (approx. half a mile away); Greater Bethel Missionary Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Kennedy (approx. half a mile away); Oaklawn and St. Louis Cemetery (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tampa.
 
Also see . . .  Tampa Free Public Library. (Submitted on December 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida.)
 
Tampa Free Public Library with marker on corner image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, May 19, 2017
2. Tampa Free Public Library with marker on corner
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 2, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 436 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 1, 2017, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110892

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 12, 2024