Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Allen House
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15074.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 32° 33.037′ N, 94° 22.034′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker is on North Washington Avenue, 0.1 miles south of Ginocchio Street, on the left when traveling south. Historical marker, Texas Historical Medallion, and National Register of Historic Places marker are mounted at eye-level on the wall beside the front door of subject house. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 610 North Washington Avenue, Marshall TX 75670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Ginocchio-Cook-Pedison House (within shouting distance of this marker); Ginocchio Hotel and Restaurant (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Texas & Pacific Depot (about 300 feet away); Marshall (about 300 feet away); Walter Paye Lane (about 600 feet away); Governor Edward Clark (about 700 feet away); Marshall, C.S.A. (about 700 feet away); Horace Randal (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Regarding The Allen House. The Allen House is a recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1977), and entered in the National Register of Historic Places (1974)
Also see . . .
1. The Allen House.
Walker Montecue Allen moved to Marshall in 1876 with his wife Eliza Ann Handly-Allen and their nine children. Although there is no documentation remaining, historian Max Lale revealed in a family oral interview, that when the family first arrived to Marshall, they rented the Van Zandt home located on the property where East Texas Baptist University now stands. The Allen house was completed around 1879. It is interesting to note that the warranty deed to the land title was in Eliza Allen's name, the reason for that is unclear.
A few rooms were added between 1944 and 1975 on both floors, including additional bathrooms and kitchens, thus dividing the house into a number (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Walker Montecue Allen.
He built a comfortable home in Marshall. Most of his time was spent as pastor of country churches within reach. He was always dearly in love with his work. He never seemed to aspire to the greater posts of service. He was always eminently successful as a revivalist. Much of his latter time was spent in that work. Many who are now preachers were converted under his ministry. He was for a number of years stated clerk and treasurer of the Marshall Presbytery, of which he had been a member since 1860. He preached actively until about January, 1897, when the condition of his health demanded his withdrawal from active life. He died May 19, 1899, in Marshall, and is buried in (Submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 191 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 2, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.