Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Snyder in Scurry County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

City of Snyder

 
 
City of Snyder Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
1. City of Snyder Marker
Inscription.  Originally established as a trading post on Deep Creek for buffalo hunters and called "Hide Town," because of many hide tents and dugouts, the city of Snyder takes it name from W. H. (Pete) Snyder, a Dutch trader who established a store here in 1878.

A major event in the town's growth came in 1908 when the Roscoe, Snyder & Pacific Railroad brought the "Iron Horse" to Snyder.

The city was incorporated in 1907.

Late in 1948 the city moved into another era when the huge Canyon Reef Oil Field was discovered. With influx of oil field workers and personnel, the quiet county seat became an overcrowded boom town overnight, with the population jumping from 4,000 to 12,000 in a year's time.

Today Snyder, the county seat of Scurry County, continues as a regional trade center for ranching, farming and oil production.
 
Erected 1966 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 893.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1878.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
32° 43.096′ N, 100° 55.159′ W. Marker is in Snyder, Texas, in Scurry County. Marker is on 24th Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1925 24th Street, Snyder TX 79549, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Witness Tree (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Witness Tree (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First State Bank Building (about 500 feet away); Home County of Famous Frontiersman J. Wright Mooar (about 600 feet away); County Named for Texas Confederate William R. Scurry (about 700 feet away); Channel of Deep Creek (about 700 feet away); Company G (about 700 feet away); Scurry County Honor Roll (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Snyder.
 
City of Snyder Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
2. City of Snyder Marker
Snyder City Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, November 12, 2017
3. Snyder City Hall
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 3, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 359 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 3, 2017, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=110939

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024