Fraser in Macomb County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. John Lutheran Church and Schools
Photographed by Joel Seewald, November 26, 2017
1. St. John Lutheran Church and Schools Marker (Side 1)
Inscription.
St. John Lutheran Church and Schools. .
Side 1. In 1864, local residents asked Pastor Herman Lemke of East Detroit to help them organize a Lutheran church in Fraser. That same year, they built a small wood frame building on land south of 14 Mile Road. Each week after Sunday service, they moved the pews aside to desks and chairs could be set up for the school week. The congregation replaced the small church with a larger wood frame church and school in 1867. A fire destroyed the building on Christmas Eve 1884. In 1884-85, members built a new two-story school and a separate church with a seating capacity of 600. The school had two classrooms, one on each floor. St. John school was the only school in Fraser until the village built a one-room schoolhouse at 13 Mile and Utica Roads around 1882.
Side 2. As the area's population grew, St. John Lutheran Church members requested schools closer to their homes. In 1877, the church built two additional schools: one at Cady's Corners on Utica Road and the Krim School at Plumbrook and Dodge Park Roads in Sterling Township. Krim served residents until around 1894; and Cady's Corner, until 1929. They both closed as improved transportation options allowed students to be educated elsewhere, including the St John school in Fraser. In the 1940s and 1950s, St. John pastors drove school buses daily. In 1957, the church finished moving all classes to a school building built here in 1948. The 1884-85 school became the Fraser Public Library in 1964. Member built a new church here in 1985-86.
Side 1
In 1864, local residents asked Pastor Herman Lemke of East Detroit to help them organize a Lutheran church in Fraser. That same year, they built a small wood frame building on land south of 14 Mile Road. Each week after Sunday service, they moved the pews aside to desks and chairs could be set up for the school week. The congregation replaced the small church with a larger wood frame church and school in 1867. A fire destroyed the building on Christmas Eve 1884. In 1884-85, members built a new two-story school and a separate church with a seating capacity of 600. The school had two classrooms, one on each floor. St. John school was the only school in Fraser until the village built a one-room schoolhouse at 13 Mile and Utica Roads around 1882.
Side 2
As the area's population grew, St. John Lutheran Church members requested schools closer to their homes. In 1877, the church built two additional schools: one at Cady's Corners on Utica Road and the Krim School at Plumbrook and Dodge Park Roads in Sterling Township. Krim served residents until around 1894; and Cady's Corner, until 1929. They both closed as improved
Click or scan to see this page online
transportation options allowed students to be educated elsewhere, including the St John school in Fraser. In the 1940s and 1950s, St. John pastors drove school buses daily. In 1957, the church finished moving all classes to a school building built here in 1948. The 1884-85 school became the Fraser Public Library in 1964. Member built a new church here in 1985-86.
Erected 2016 by Michigan Historical Commission - Michigan Historical Center. (Marker Number L2278C.)
Location. 42° 32.345′ N, 82° 57.351′ W. Marker is in Fraser, Michigan, in Macomb County. It is on East 14 Mile Road near Utica Road, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 16339 East 14 Mile Road, Fraser MI 48026, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Regionally, this marker is in Southeast Michigan and in Greater Detroit. It is also in the American Midwest
Photographed by Joel Seewald, November 26, 2017
2. St. John Lutheran Church and Schools Marker (Side 2)
and on the Great Lakes. Globally, it is in North America, the Western Hemisphere, the Western World, and the Anglosphere. Historically, it finds itself in what was once the Northwest Territory.
The marker is at the far left; the wing on the right is part of the school.
Photographed by Joel Seewald, November 26, 2017
4. Fraser Public Library
View from the north of the 1884-85 school, which is now Fraser Public Library.
Photographed by Joel Seewald, November 26, 2017
5. Fraser Public Library
View from the northwest of the 1884-85 school, which is now Fraser Public Library.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 5, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 1,247 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos:1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 5, 2017, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.