San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Courthouses of Hays County
When Hays County originated in 1848, its one public building was a log church-schoolhouse that had to serve as the courthouse, along with its other uses. Although the San Marcos townsite, platted in 1851, contained a court square donated to the county, the forfeiture of a $2,000.00 criminal bond later gave the county funds for building, and in 1861 officials employed contractor C. F. Millett to erect on the Square a 36 x 40-foot, 2-story frame courthouse with a hearing room, jury rooms, and 4 offices. That pine building burned in 1868, and county officials operated from rented quarters until a courthouse of soft, locally quarried limestone was completed in 1871. Damaged by earth shiftings, that 2-story, 45 x 53-foot building was razed (1881) and replaced by a 50 x 60-foot, 2-story building of harder limestone designed by F. E. Ruffini, architect for University of Texas buildings and for courthouses in several other counties. After that 1882-83 structure lost its top story in a fire on Feb. 28, 1908, it also was razed. The fourth and present courthouse, in eclectic style, was designed by C. H. Page & Brother, of Austin. Completed and
Erected 1974 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10280.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 29° 52.967′ N, 97° 56.456′ W. Marker is in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker is on North Guadalupe Street south of East Hopkins Street (State Highway 80), on the left when traveling south. Marker is located on the west side of the Hays County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 East San Antonio Street, San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Old Triangle (within shouting distance of this marker); Founding of the First Methodist Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First National Bank of San Marcos (about 700 feet away); First United Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Beverly Hutchison House (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Calaboose (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Cock Home (approx. Ό mile away); The Charles S. Cock House Museum (approx. Ό mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
Also see . . . Courthouse Images for Hays County, Texas.
postcard images of Hays County 1882 and 1908 courthouses (Submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 215 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2. submitted on December 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 7, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 8, 9. submitted on December 15, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.