Lockhart in Caldwell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Dr. Eugene Clark Library
Built in 1899 and dedicated on July 6, 1900, this library was financed with funds bequeathed by Dr. Clark, who was a prominent physician of Lockhart and San Antonio. A native of New Orleans, he was a graduate of Tulane Medical School and studied in Vienna, Austria. He was an eye, ear, nose, and throat specialist. He died, while still a young man, in New York City in 1897.
The building, an outstanding example of French Renaissance style, was designed and built by T.S. Hodges. When erected, it stood near the opera house, in the cultural center of Lockhart.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9763.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is July 6, 1900.
Location. 29° 52.982′ N, 97° 40.343′ W. Marker is in Lockhart, Texas, in Caldwell County. Marker is at the intersection of West Prairie Lea Street and South Main Street, on the right when traveling west on West Prairie Lea Street. Marker is located on the south side of the Dr. Eugene Clark Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 217 South Main Street, Lockhart TX 78644, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Caldwell County (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Caldwell County Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Caldwell County Confederate Soldiers Memorial (about 600 feet away); First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) (about 600 feet away); Emmanuel Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Lockhart (approx. 0.2 miles away); Susanna Dickinson Hannig-Messenger of the Alamo (approx. 0.2 miles away); Caldwell County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lockhart.
Also see . . . Dr. Eugene Clark Library History.
This Unique and historically significant building was built with a $10,000 bequest from Dr. Eugene Clark. Dr. Clark was a native of New Orleans, and his father died on the battlefield during the Civil War when Dr. Clark was only three.
On his death bed he dictated a will specifying that the citizens of Lockhart should have a library and lyceum. His will left $10,000 to the people of Lockhart, of which $6,000 was to be used for construction, $1,000 to buy books and the remainder was to be put in a trust to maintain the building and purchase new books. (Submitted on December 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 10, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 288 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 8, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.