Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Camden in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Southwest Redoubt

 
 
Southwest Redoubt Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, November 5, 2017
1. Southwest Redoubt Marker
Inscription.  
In 1780 - 81, the British built a series of small forts or redoubts to serve as an outer line of defense for their headquarters at Camden. They were well fortified with troops and artillery, making Camden relatively impenetrable to attack by the Colonial forces. This redoubt was just outside the town’s palisade southwest of the Old Presbyterian Church, this graveyard, and a few yards south of this sign. It guarded the approach from the strategic Wateree Ferry. On May 10, 1781 the British evacuated, destroying it and much of Camden.
 
Erected by Kershaw County Clean Community Commission, Historic Campbell Street Committee.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Revolutionary.
 
Location. 34° 14.01′ N, 80° 36.475′ W. Marker is in Camden, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker is at the intersection of Meeting Street and Church Street, on the left when traveling west on Meeting Street. Marker is located in the Old Presbyterian Burying Ground. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Camden SC 29020, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within walking distance of this marker. Revolutionary War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The Camden Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Presbyterian Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Agnes of Glasgow 1760 ~ 1780 (within shouting distance of this marker); Maj. Gen. Baron Johann de Kalb's Original Gravesite (within shouting distance of this marker); West Redoubt (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named West Redoubt (about 600 feet away); Quaker Burying Ground (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Camden.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Old Marker At This Location also titled "Southwest Redoubt".
 
Southwest Redoubt Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, November 5, 2017
2. Southwest Redoubt Marker
Southwest Redoubt Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, November 5, 2017
3. Southwest Redoubt Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 27, 2024. It was originally submitted on November 7, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 43 times this year. Last updated on December 9, 2017, by Byron Hooks of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on November 7, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=111225

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 25, 2024