Comfort in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Comfort Community Church
Dedicated in 1892, this Gothic revival building first served the Deutsche Evangelische Gemeinde (German Evangelical Congregation), founded the previous year by the Rev. Frederick Bauer. The bell tower was added about 1898. For over 50 years, the Lutherans shared their building with other denominations, and the structure became known as the Comfort Community Church. It continues to serve the Immanuel Lutheran Church, as the congregation was renamed in 1947.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 998.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1892.
Location. 29° 58.197′ N, 98° 54.813′ W. Marker is in Comfort, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker is on High Street east of 3rd Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located in front of the old Comfort Community Church. The newer Immanuel Lutheran Church is just west of the marker. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Treue Der Union Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Dedication of Monument to German Patriots (within shouting distance of this marker); Funeral of German Patriots at Comfort, Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle and Massacre at Nueces River (within shouting distance of this marker); Comfort School (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ernst Hermann Altgelt (approx. 0.2 miles away); Freidenker (approx. 0.2 miles away); Otto Brinkmann House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Comfort.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.