Comfort in Kendall County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Gass Schmiede
This limestone-block building was built in 1890 as a blacksmith shop ("schmiede") for Jacob Gass (1845-1913). Rock mason J. Gottlieb Lorbeer worked on the lower level for almost a year, walking to the job each week from Sisterdale (15 mi. E). The upper level was finished quickly with machinery and was used as a residence. Paul Ingenhuett bought the building in 1903, and his family made it available for a museum and public library in 1932.
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5343.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
Location. 29° 57.976′ N, 98° 54.389′ W. Marker is in Comfort, Texas, in Kendall County. Marker is at the intersection of High Street and 8th Street, on the left when traveling west on High Street. Mounted on the northeast corner of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 838 High Street, Comfort TX 78013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Founding Freethinkers (a few steps from this marker); Hermann and Antoine Ingenhuett Homestead (within shouting distance of this marker); Ingenhuett-Karger Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); Karger Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Ingenhuett-Faust Hotel (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Comfort Post Office (about 300 feet away); Peter Joseph Ingenhuett Homestead (about 400 feet away); Arno Schwethelm Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Comfort.
Regarding The Gass Schmiede. National Register of Historic Places (1979)
Also see . . .
1. Historic Marker Application: The Gass Schmiede.
The two story structure was built of native limestone laid in a smooth faced coursed ashlar in blocks of 2 x 5 feet. The lower floor was used for a blacksmith shop and the upper story for living quarters in a regular Hill Country German style. The rocks were hauled from the family property three miles east of Comfort across the Guadalupe River. The walls are 18 inches thick creating a pleasant summer environment even without air-conditioning. (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Gass Schmiede Photograph (1904).
Photograph of the Gass Schmiede and the 8th & High Streets intersection from 1904 (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. The Gass Schmiede.
In 1903, Paul Ingenhuett bought the building and used it for storage in connection with his general store next door. The Members of the Literary Social Club, with the able help of Mrs. Paul Ingenhuett, converted the building for use as a private museum in 1933. (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 11, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 170 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.