Leakey in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Real County Courthouse
Architect H.A. Reuter designed the 1918 courthouse, and the firm of McCreary and Schott served as contractors. According to oral history, a local builder known as "Scotty" Archibald made a significant contribution, as well. E.F. Vanderbilt was construction superintendent.
Using native limestone quarried from Tucker Hollow near the site, workers erected Reuter's vision of a Classical Revival edifice with a fortress-like facade. The rusticated limestone bands were laid in regular courses with quicklime bonding
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11692.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1918.
Location. 29° 43.568′ N, 99° 45.735′ W. Marker is in Leakey, Texas, in Real County. Marker is on 4th Street east of Market Street (U.S. 83), on the right when traveling west. Marker is located near the south entrance to the Real County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 146 US-83, Leakey TX 78873, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Real County (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Real County (within shouting distance of this marker); John Leakey (within shouting distance of this marker); Leakey Church of Christ (about 500 feet away, Leakey Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Catherine R. McLauren (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leakey Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Leakey School (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leakey.
Also see . . . Real County Courthouse.
(includes historic photographs of courthouse) The Ransom Annex on the east side of the 1917 courthouse was completed in 1978 and is, essentially, the new courthouse. The 1917 courthouse now houses county offices. This stone building was designed by Barton D. Riley & Associates. Both the South and North side of the 1917 Real County courthouse entrances were converted to windows. The courthouse contained a jail with two small cells that was used until 1978. The bars can still be seen on the windows. (Submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.