Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Original Site of Uvalde High School
Four years after Uvalde became a railroad shipping point, the people of the city built their first school building. Completed in 1885, the facility served all grade levels. The picketed structure was constructed of cedar logs and erected on this site, which was donated by the town's founder, Reading W. Black. The demand for space quickly required a new four-room two-story structure. Four more rooms were added in 1891, the year of the first graduating class. Graduation ceremonies, which took place after completion of the tenth grade, were sometimes held in the Uvalde Opera House. The school building burned to the ground in 1898.
Determined to continue to meet the educational needs of their children, Uvalde citizens erected a new building on this site in 1900. The two-story edifice cost $10,000 to build, and there was some controversy over its size.
By 1907, Uvalde had become an independent school district, and even the modern 1900 structure was no longer adequate for the rapidly growing area. Plans for a larger Uvalde High School on West Main Street were carried out in 1908.
The educational investments
(incise) Gretchen Catron, Jane Knapik, Donna McDonough
Erected 1998 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12258.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 12.768′ N, 99° 47.259′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is on North Getty Street (U.S. 83) north of East Oak Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is located in front of the Uvalde Furniture store now located at this site. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 301 North Getty Street, Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church of Uvalde (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. William Benson (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Uvalde Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Grand Opera House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kincaid Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Uvalde County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rice Hotel and SaddleryUvalde County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 206 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 12, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.