Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Presbyterian Church of Uvalde
The Western Texas Presbytery assigned the Rev. James R. Bridges to the Uvalde field in 1881. Serving Bandera, Brackettville, Del Rio, Montell and the Nueces and Frio Canyon areas, Bridges found Uvalde and especially its surrounding areas wild and often dangerous. However, he soon met Presbyterian families who were anxious to organize a new church. William and Mattie Jones and their six children, also new arrivals to the area, helped the young minister gather charter members and organize the church. In February 1882, the Rev. Mr. Bridges and eleven charter members met in Uvalde and organized the Uvalde Presbyterian Church. The Presbyterians met in the Methodist church building while funds were raised for a meeting house of their own. The new building was dedicated in 1883, the same year that Bridges was called to serve in Baltimore. A windstorm destroyed the church building early in the 20th century, and a new facility was built in 1907.
In 1909, the Rev. Thomas Alexander Hardin of Tennessee became minister of the Uvalde church. His arrival ended years of uncertainty for the church and began an era of stability. The 1907 church
The church grew in numbers despite the difficulties of World War II. A men's group began in 1947. In the 1950s and early 1960s a new church complex was completed. The church has remained active in community service and worship, growing steadily since that time.
Erected 1999 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12256.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1882.
Location. 29° 12.78′ N, 99° 47.249′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is on North Getty Street (U.S. 83) south of East School Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker is near entrance to church parking lot. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 North Getty Street, Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original Site of Uvalde High School (within shouting distance of this marker); Capt. William Benson (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Uvalde Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grand Opera HouseKincaid Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Uvalde County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rice Hotel and Saddlery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Uvalde County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 13, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 130 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 11, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.