Del Rio in Val Verde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Old Del Rio National Bank Building
In 1910 Del Rio National Bank bought this lot and hired noted Texas architect Alfred Giles to design this structure. The cartouche and cornice above the main entrance, stylistic flourishes not seen in Giles' earlier San Antonio and Hill Country work, reflect his later work in northern Mexico. The Bank vacated this structure in 1931 for a larger building. In ,1937 community leaders, including John Brinkley and Thomas Graham, Jr., chartered the Del Rio Loan Company and moved into this building, which also became home to lawyers, doctors, dentists, the Mexican Consulate, and the Edwards-Graham Insurance Company. After World War II Victor Lee worked his way up to D.R.L.C. president becoming sole proprietor and owner of the property. The business and building remain in the family in 2003.
Erected 2003 by Val Verde County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1910.
Location. 29° 21.504′ N, 100° 53.937′ W. Marker is in Del Rio, Texas, in Val Verde CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 701 South Main Street, Del Rio TX 78840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Max and Anna Stool (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Camp Hudson, C.S.A. (about 400 feet away); Canal System of Del Rio (about 500 feet away); Val Verde County Courthouse Square (about 600 feet away); John Taini (approx. 0.2 miles away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); City of Del Rio (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Del Rio (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Del Rio.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 13, 2017, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.