Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Ferguson Building

 
 
Ferguson Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. Ferguson Building Marker
Inscription.  This High Victorian Italianate building was constructed in 1904 by J.W. Maloney and James Monroe Ferguson. Although the ground floor store front have been altered over the years the building's historic character is evident at the second story which features arched brick work over the windows, an elaborately bracketed projecting cornice and stone copings on the parapet wall above. The first floor has been occupied by various retail stores, the longest occupant being the Sherwin Williams paint store from 1950 to 1988. The second floor housed a rooming house called the St. Elmo Hotel for many years. Subsequent to a briefly questionable period of operation in the 1940's, the name of the rooming house was changed to the Plaza Hotel, under which it continued in operation until the mid- 1960's.
Ferguson and Maloney were both farmers in the Adams area, a few miles north of Pendleton. Judge Maloney, as he was known after being elected County Judge in 1910, sold his half interest to James Ferguson's son Elmer, who later sold that half interest to James. At Ferguson's death in 1921 the building passed to his heirs and continued to be held by the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
family.
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings.
 
Location. 45° 40.215′ N, 118° 47.166′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is on South Main Street near Southwest Emigrant Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 421 South Main Street, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Matlock - Brownfield Bldg (here, next to this marker); Masonic Hall Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Triple Nickles (within shouting distance of this marker); Bowman Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Hendricks Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Empire Meat Market (within shouting distance of this marker); The Empire Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Rivoli Theater (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Ferguson Building image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. Ferguson Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 16, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 244 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=111570

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024