Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Temple-Martin Building

 
 
Temple-Martin Building Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. Temple-Martin Building Marker
Inscription.  Dr. Isaiah Ulysses Temple arrived in Pendleton with his family, at the age of 14, in 1883. He purchased the south half of this building in 1910. He added a second story for professional offices and converted a portion of the ground floor to a motion picture theatre called "The Arcade." For a nickel, persons could see moving pictures with piano accompaniment. A billiard hall was located in the adjoining store during this time period. In later years, the Lewis Hunter Store operated at this location, selling home furnishings and hardware.
Dr. Temple purchased the North half of this building (the Martin Building) in 1920 and he acquired the St. George (now Temple) Hotel in 1922. The Martine building contained such businesses as the Rex Hotel and a Sear-Roebuck store during the 1940's when this photo was taken.
The building was remodelled (sic) to its present state in 1951. While the remodelling (sic) of this building destroyed much of the exterior historic character, it resulted in a building design consistent with the Temple Hotel (stucco facing, frameless window openings, and bold, rusticated corner pilasters).
The buildings
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
were purchased from Dr. Temple's heirs by Robert and Barbara Sawalish in 1980.
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
 
Location. 45° 40.268′ N, 118° 47.182′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is on South Main Street near Southeast Dorion Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 338 South Main Street, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Aura Goodwin Raley (here, next to this marker); Frazier Building (a few steps from this marker); Columbia Hotel (a few steps from this marker); Griggs & Tryon Bldg (within shouting distance of this marker); Rivoli Theater (within shouting distance of this marker); Empire Meat Market (within shouting distance of this marker); Hendricks Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Triple Nickles (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
Temple-Martin Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. Temple-Martin Building and Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 324 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 18, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=111677

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 23, 2024