Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pendleton in Umatilla County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

U.S. Post Office & Courthouse

 
 
U.S. Post Office & Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
1. U.S. Post Office & Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  This brick building was constructed in 1916 by the Federal Government and has been in continuous use as a Post Office and Courthouse since that time. The structure was dedicated as the John F. Kilkenny United States Courthouse and Post Office on October, 17, 1984 for the noted Pendleton lawyer and longtime Federal District and Circuit Court Judge. Typical of many civic projects of the time, the building was designed in the American Renaissance style. The first story of the building visually provides a heavy base for the upper stories, the brick wall surfaces deeply textured to suggest stone. Shallow pilasters with stone bases and capitals at the two upper stories suggesting classical columns, the rounded arched openings on the buildings facade, and the balustrade at parapet level are all characteristic of the style.
The symmetry and classical elements of the style create a feeling of monumentality and permanence appropriate to civic structures. The confidence in the government inspired by public buildings of this type must have seemed particularly important at a time when the front page of the newspaper was devoted almost entirely to
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the developments of the First World War.
 
Erected by City of Pendleton.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: CommunicationsGovernment & PoliticsNotable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list. A significant historical date for this entry is October 17, 1984.
 
Location. 45° 40.271′ N, 118° 47.287′ W. Marker is in Pendleton, Oregon, in Umatilla County. Marker is at the intersection of Southwest Dorion Avenue and Southwest 1st Street, on the left when traveling west on Southwest Dorion Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 Southwest Dorion Avenue, Pendleton OR 97801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Empire Block (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kathleen McClintock 1907-1998 (about 400 feet away); Frazier Building (about 400 feet away); Columbia Hotel (about 400 feet away); Griggs & Tryon Bldg (about 400 feet away); Rivoli Theater (about 400 feet away); Brown Building (about 400 feet away); Aura Goodwin Raley (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pendleton.
 
U.S. Post Office & Courthouse and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
2. U.S. Post Office & Courthouse and Marker
The marker is around the left corner of the building, barely visible.
U.S. Post Office & Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Barry Swackhamer, June 30, 2017
3. U.S. Post Office & Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 18, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 18, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 174 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on December 18, 2017, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=111682

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 27, 2024